The first settlements in this area were built in the late Bronze Age and they are evidenced by archaeological findings from the 11th century BC in the area of Lisina. In the area between Kupa and Petrova gora lived the Pannonian Illyrian tribe called Brajci (breuci). As the Roman conquest of the area began, a new era in the history of these areas also started. The roads were built and one of them was partially in this area. In Latin it is called “via vitae”, translated “the road of life”, which was connecting Senj (Senia) and Sisak (Siscia). So far, Roman remains have been found in the area of Klokoč, Krstinja and Petrova gora.
Numerous cultural and historical monuments and sites witness a rich history of this region. One of the most important of them is Petrova gora where Petar Svačić was killed in 1097 in the battle of the Croatian and Hungarian armies. In the later centuries in this area lived a few noble families whose role in Croatian history is very significant. In the 12th century the area south of the river Kupa belonged to Gorička County which was managed by the princes of the family Babonić and in the 13th and 14th centuries the princes of the family Frankopan. Until the beginning of the 15th century this area was inhabited only by the Croatian people. As the Bosnian kingdom has fallen in 1493, the Turks invaded this area across the river Kupa and destroyed most of the settlements. In 1527, Croatian crown was in the hands of the Austrian Archduke Ferdinand Habsburg (from 1527 to 1564) who was committed to financially and military support of the Kingdom of Croatia. However, the fall of many Croatian territories resulted in Ottoman troops approaching the border within Austrian countries. In 1553 Ferdinand Ist decided on the systematic arrangement of the Military Border. Then, the Supreme Commander Ivan Lenković divided that area to the Croatian Border and Slavonian Border which had the task to protect Kranjska and Koruška and what remained of the Croatian territory.
Croatian military border was the name for the western part of the Military Border within the Habsburg Monarchy, which belonged to the territory of the Kingdom of Croatia until the establishment of the militarized area. At the end of the 16th century the name Karlovac generalat for the territory of the Croatian military border began to settle because of the importance of the city of Karlovac. In 1873, Military Border was demilitarized, including its western part formerly known as the Croatian Border. In 1881 the entire Military Border was abolished and united with the Kingdom of Croatia and Slavonia.As we see it, this area is full of historical events that continued throughout the twentieth century, during World War I, World War II and also through the Homeland War when this pearl was tried to be stolen from the territory of Croatia.