What to visit?


The monumental memorial is situated on Veliki Petrovac, one of the highest peaks of Petrova gora. It was built in honor and memory of fighters and victims who died in this area at the time of World War II. The author of the monument is a sculptor Vojin Bakić. It was made in 1981 and it is an interesting legacy of the architecture of socialism. It is made of ferroconcrete and coated with stainless steel plates. Inside of the monument there was a museum with the exhibit related to the National Liberation War of this region. Around the monument there was a recreation complex.The road leading towards the monument is paved so you can get there by car or bus. There are also hiking trails leading to the monument if you are hiking lovers.


The Ornithological Park Petrovac is located at the top of Petrova gora and you can reach it by the path from the road passing the The Pauline monastery towards the King’s tomb. The path is marked with road signs and info boards about the birds inhabited in this area. There is also a watchtower for observing the birds and other animals.

The park’s surface is 13.6 hectares and it is covered mostly with oak and beech trees that are ideal for bird nests.


At one of the highest peaks of Petrova gora called Mali Petrovac you will find the remains of the Pauline monastery. The monastery was established in 1303 or 1304 and it is one of the first Pauline monasteries in Croatia. It was ruined in 1445 when the Turks burned it down for the first time. However, the monks stayed there for one more century, up to 1558 when it was attacked by the Turks for the second time. Since then, the monks have been living in a monastery in Kamensko near Karlovac. In 17th century a watchtower was built at the ruins of the monastery.  It lost its function by the end of the Turkish danger in the 18th century.


The hospital is located in the woods of Petrova gora, in the area called Pišin gaj. Construction of the hospital started in 1942 and was completed in 1943. It had 32 facilities including a bakery, a forge, a warehouse, a water warehouse, a shower room, a watchtower, a waiting room, a building for the guard, a power station, the headquarters and the command of battalion guard, a disinfection station, a kitchen, a section for the wounded, a dugout, a surgery, an ambulance and a reception. Near the hospital there is also the cemetery. During the World War II, more than 5000 wounded and sick people were treated in the hospital. This hospital was one of the central sites of anti-fascist combats in the territory of the Republic of Croatia. It is well known that this hospital has not been discovered during the war. It is still in good condition and it is worth seeing. The road to the hospital is paved but badly maintained.


According to the legend, the last Croatian king of the national blood, King Petar Svačić, was killed at this spot in 1097 in the fight with the Hungarian army led by King Koloman. There is a macadam path leading to the King’s grave and the tomb itself is marked with a memorial plaque set by Karlovac foresters in May 2006. By the road through Vojnić you will arrive at the hunting lodge Muljava, where the hiking trails start. This circular hiking trail consists of eight control points, actually cultural and historical sites. You can also take one of the two educational paths named “The Roman Path” and the “King’s Path”, which is adapted for people with mobility difficulties.


This old town is situated at an elevated ground in Otmić forrest near the Kestenovac village. It was built in the 16th century by a noble family of Otmić that belonged to the Klokoč nobility. The Otmić family had ruled the town until 1592, when the Turks had conquered it. It remained abandoned from that time. It is a circular fort with a central defense tower, an outer defensive wall and the moat. One part of the cylindrical tower was preserved.


The town was first mentioned in 1334 and the first registered owner of the town was Juraj Sanković. During its turbulent history, the city changed its owners and mostly served as the defense point from the Turks. The remains are near the village of the same name and two roads lead to it – one paved walking path and a macadam road in bad condition.


This old noble town Klokoč is located in an elevated position, above the river mouth where the creek Rabnica meets river Glina. It was built as an irregular rectangular layout with the cylindrical tower in one corner, a surrounding moat and a dwelling house inside the walls. First records of this old town date from 1224. In the 14th century the Frankopan family ruled the town and after them it changed several owners. The Ottoman held the town until 1681, and after the demobilization in 1871 the town was repaired and it functioned as a border fortress. After that, Klokoč was abandoned and started to decay. The remains of the town are located near the village of the same name and only one unpaved road in bad condition leads to it. At the same location there is a pit called “Bezdanica”, which stands for a deep, bottomless pit. On the way to old town Klokoč there is also an unexplored cave in the village Dunjak.


The old traditional water mill is located on the road leading towards Petrova gora from Vojnić. The mill is well preserved and the road to the mill is unpaved but in good condition so it is possible to get there by a car.


The old traditional water mill was build in 1938 for the local community. It was built in Vojišnica, on the road to Gvozd and Topusko, 2 kilometers from the Vojnić centre and it is still functioning. There is a water spring close to the mill.